Household waste is collected at the kerbside on Monday in Aldwark and Youlton, Wednesday in Flawith and Thursday in Tollerton. Green bins are used for garden waste, blue bags for paper, blue boxes for glass, blue/grey bins for cans and plastics recycling, and black bins for the rest, usually on alternate weeks.
No side waste will be taken on either week, it is your responsibility to dispose of any excess rubbish you may have at other times at your local household waste site.
We are fortunate in having the nearby Tholthorpe household waste recycling centre. NB The Centre is now closed every week on Wednesday and on 25th, 26th December and 1st January.
To allow us to operate the centres safely, the following rules will be in place:
- To avoid overcrowding we will be operating a queuing system for vehicles
- There will be a cut-off point for the queues into the centre so you may be asked to come back at a different time if the queue becomes too long
- Only one person will be allowed out of the vehicle to dispose of waste, wherever possible, to keep the number of people on the site to a minimum
- To maintain social distancing, staff will not be able to help you dispose of waste so please only bring what you can manage yourself
- Trailers will not be allowed into the centres during this time
- Commercial waste will not be accepted
- Commercial like vehicles for household waste are allowed as long as they are pre-registered with us. You can find out more about how to do this on our vehicles allowed to use household waste recycling centres page.
- The normal rules will apply for non-commercial chargeable waste and payments will only be accepted using cards, contactless where possible
- Please wash your hands before and after attending and, if possible, wear gloves
- You must follow the Government guidance on social distancing and stay at least 2m apart at all times
Opening Times are:
April - September 08.30 to 17.00
October - March 08.30 to 16.00
Beware access for larger vehicles and trailers is limited to
Monday through to Friday - between 8.30am and 10am and between 2.30pm and 3.30pm (with the exception of Bank Holidays)
Monday through to Friday - between 5pm and 6.30pm (April to September only)
Saturday, Sunday and Bank holidays - between 8.30am and 10am
Items that can be accepted here
- paper, cardboard,
- telephone directories,
- garden waste
- food and drink cans,
- scrap metal
- plastic bottles
- mixed textiles and clothes
- fluorescent tubes,
- tvs and monitors,
- fridges and freezers,
- large appliances,
- small appliances
- furnitures (including beds, mattresses, sofas and chairs),
- cooking oil
- car batteries,
- used engine oil,
- tyres (four per person per visit) *Note: as of 1st April 2016 there will be a charge for vehicle tyres to cover the cost of disposing of them. Charges will start from 1.70 per tyre.
- wood and timber,
- hardcore and rubble,
- gas bottles,
- waste for landfill
Please note that we do not allow biodegradable bags to be deposited in the green waste containers.